Create a genealogy quiz for your next family reunion with Google Slides in 5 easy steps!
1. Start Your Quiz Design
- Begin a new, blank slideshow in Google Slides.
- Add a meaningful background image to the slide. In this example, I added an image of the little valley where the ancestral family settled. You could choose a photo of the ancestral family, or the ancestral home as well.
- Expand the photo to fill the whole slide and then in the image options, slide the transparency bar until the image becomes a light background.
- Add a question number in the corner.
- Duplicate this base slide for each question you add to your quiz: Right Click on Slide Thumbnail -> Duplicate Slide
2. Create Your Questions
- Limit your quiz to 10-20 questions to keep it short and interesting.
- Begin with questions about a generation that some folks at the family reunion would have known in person.
- Then work your way back up the tree as the questions progress.
- Ask questions about names, dates, places, occupations, family relationships.
- Give multiple answer choices.
- Include photos when possible.
3. Add Your Answer Slides
- Duplicate each question slide and change the number to say “Answer 1”, etc.
- Change the question to the answer.
- Add a little history lesson or a short story to go along with the answer. This way, your relatives learn a bit of extra info about their ancestry when they check their score.
4. Remember the Answer Sheets and Pencils!
- Your family members will need a way to record their answers and see how they did on the quiz, so make sure to bring answer sheets and pencils to the reunion.
- I have included a 20 question answer sheet here for download.
5. Share the Quiz
How to Share the Quiz at Your Low-Tech Reunion
- Size your slides for printing. This setting is found under File -> Page Setup. It is best to choose your printing size, and set your page size when starting the quiz design.
- Download each slide as a .jpg file to send to the printer or photo center: File -> Download As -> JPEG Image
- OR Send slides directly to your home printer.
- Protect printed slides with clear page protectors.
- Bring tape to hang the quiz at the reunion.
How to Share the Quiz at Your High-Tech Reunion
A. Embed on a family website: File -> Publish to the Web -> Embed -> Copy the generated code to your webpage. Have the website with the embedded quiz loaded on one or more computers at the reunion.
B. OR Chromecast to a large screen and present it as a live slideshow: Present -> Present on Another Screen
At our family reunion this summer, relatives young and old enjoyed the quiz, and it really got the conversation flowing. Try a quiz at your next reunion!